Under Covers: Big Joe & Phantom 309

Mar 24, 2009 Posted by Adam
Labels:  


There's nothing quite like a good cover song. I've realized that lately a lot of my favorite songs are actually covers, and it's always interesting to see where some of your favorite artists get their inspiration. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes not so much. I'm not sure if this one's obvious or not, but with Tom Waits, nothing's a suprise.

"Big Joe & Phantom 309" is Tom Waits at his absolute best... in storyteller mode with an acoustic guitar. The funny thing is, it's not even his song. You could have fooled me. Here's the original by a man who's apparently famous for country-western story-songs about truckers, Mr. Red Sovine.



And here's the man with the what, I can only assume, is the voice of Zeus.

Tom Waits - Big Joe & Phantom 309 (from The Dime Store Novels Vol. 1)









2 feeback: