Under Covers: Inspiration Information

Apr 24, 2009 Posted by Adam
Labels:  


Honestly, I could just keep doing "Under Covers" posts about tracks from Dark Was The Night, but I won't, I'll just pick the best. For my money, the best cover on Dark Was The Night is Sharon Jones doing the title track from Shuggie Otis' 1974 album, "Inspiration Information." To be fair, Shuggie was a genius. In addition to writing and arranging his soul-funk opuses, he also played most of the instruments himself. I just think Queen Sharon (I'm calling her that from now on) outdoes him on this one. I say this mainly because I was convinced this song was a Sharon Jones song until I looked it up - she just owns it.

Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information








Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Inspiration Information








If you don't already own both Dark Was The Night and Inspiration Information you need to make amends.


0 feeback: