superchunk: leaves in the gutter ep
I won't pretend like I've been a Superchunk fan from the start, but I can honestly say that they've gradually become one of my favorite bands. They have the type of unassuming infectiousness that creeps up on you a little bit more each time you hear them, or learn a little bit more about their story. Their story, in short, goes like this:
After Seattle became a hotbed for alternative rock in the 90's, a lot of industry booger-heads tried to find another locale to market as the indie-rock mecca. The eventual choice was Chapel Hill, NC. This decision had a lot to do with Superchunk being from Chapel Hill. Famously, the band decided to tell the major labels to "fuck off" and continued putting out their records on their own Merge imprint. Perhaps you've heard of it...
So, Merge was hugely successful and Superchunk has become the archetype (if their really is one) for career-minded indie-rock bands. Their sound can be inadequately described as pop-punk, but the integrity and creative freedom that comes across so readily in their music puts them heads above any other band that has ever been given the unfortunate description of pop-punk.
Their new EP Leaves In The Gutter is probably their most immediately accessible and should be a treat for newcomers and long-time fans alike.
Superchunk - Learned To Surf
Superchunk - I Believe in Fate (Sebadoh cover)