'(With)in (Y)our World(s)'

Jan 29, 2009 Posted by Diane
Labels:  
Navid Nuur, Untitled



It is no secret that I have an insatiable, burning affinity for all things "travel" and this morning, while flipping through my ArtForum International, my hunger pangs hit. Hard.

The leaf is white and crisp with a transparent quality that echoes fine China. Text that is justified left with large margins exclaims in long, thin, innocently sprawled lettering, "IN OUR WORLD". Nothing too profound and harboring no inaccuracies, I'd say. Though, when you turn the page over, in the same intimate handwriting, yet backwards, reads "HTIW Y S". I'm intrigued. If you hold the page up to the light and view it from the front the previous, "IN OUR WORLD" transforms to read, "WITHIN YOUR WORLDS" as the two sides become entangled on to one married plane of front and back. [I really wish I could share this image, but I cannot seem to find one that serves justice. Check out ArtForum, pg 97-98]

But oh, Navid Nuur, your world is not within my world, is it? Quick answer: no, it isn't. Though, if you happen to be in Berlin anytime between 9 January and 14 February this year you, my friend, have just stumbled in to what some would call "good fortune". The Galeria Plan B [Heidestrasse 50 10557 Berlin] is hosting the exhibition of Navid Nuur's "(WITH)IN (Y)OUR WORLD(S)" curated by Nuur himself along with Romanian essayist and National Museum of Contemporary Art curator, Mihnea Mircan.

If you are just as hooked as I am, you can read the catalogue entry for the exhibition here, or you can man up and meet me at Philadelphia International at 9 tomorrow morning.


0 feeback: